The **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is seeking an experienced book publicist to join and expand the efforts of our dynamic and high achieving publicity team. We continue to grow our list and create ambitious new goals for the Press as we approach our centennial year. The Publicist will be responsible for traditional, online and social media publicity for approximately 50 assigned UNC Press titles per year. It reports to the Director of Publicity.
Key Responsibilities include:
Handling all aspects of publicity campaigns for designated titles, including pitching first and second serial rights; arranging for the creation and distribution of print and digital galleys; providing review copies to media; writing and distributing press releases and other promotional materials as needed; creating targeted interview pitches for broadcast and other media; coaching authors for on-air interviews and other promotional opportunities.
Independently executing author events and tours (150-200 events per year), including pitching to bookstores, book festivals and other venues; providing promotional materials and offering co-op support; ensuring availability of books at events; providing itineraries to authors; budgeting and handling reimbursements for author travel; and maintaining the events calendar on the website. This position will also work with venues and will notify appropriate media outlets about events. It submits content regarding events to the Press website and blog.
Cultivating and maintaining relationships with national and regional media contacts, including: responding promptly to requests for serial rights and negotiating all aspects of the placement of essays and op-eds; following up on requests for review copies and other promotional materials; facilitating communication with authors and setting up informational and broadcast interviews.
Representing the Press at two seasonal sales conferences and, when needed, at festivals and promotional events (i.e., BookExpo, the Southern Festival of Books, the Decatur Book Festival, BookMarks Festival, book launches at bookstores, etc.), and making regular media visits to New York and DC.
Manage the creation of content for the UNC Press Blog, including writing or arranging for daily posts, working with inside and outside house personnel (including UNC Press staff, authors, etc.) to commission new posts, to keep the site constantly updated and fresh.
Manage outreach to social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and others, to establish a Press presence and manage relationships to increase visibility, and drive increased traffic to the UNC Press website.
Creating and distributing a weekly newsletter/bulletin of publicity highlights/media placements—elements of which will be shared with our sales team and international distribution partners, our foreign rights agent, and others in the Press’s network.
Supervising, with the assistance of the Director of Publicity, a shared marketing department assistant, and recruiting and training two to three interns/work-study students to ensure the timely completion of such core tasks as:
• Coordinating the mailing of new and backlist books through our distribution arm, Longleaf Services, Inc.
• Sending advance title information to bookstores, news bureaus, and alumni publications.
• Compiling information for pre-publication media
• Overseeing the review tearsheet process, notifying authors of reviews received, and adding review quotes to database.
• Sending marketing materials to new authors; following up to ensure the return of a completed marketing questionnaire and submission of a suitable author photo. Routing and filing author questionnaires and attachments.
• Other miscellaneous duties such as mailing, photocopying, data entry, filing, and researching promotional opportunities.
• Investigate outside blogs and websites for sharing content, links, ideas, e-mail lists, etc.
• College degree and a minimum of three to five years of prior publicity or book publishing experience preferred, with an emphasis on organizing author events and tours and booking authors in both traditional and digital outlets.
• An ability to work in a fast-paced environment under multiple deadlines.
• Extensive knowledge of the media and a familiarity with newspaper and magazine editors, producers, book critics, and reviewers.
• Experience working with key event venues and book festivals (including coordinating the Press’s booth at select festivals).
• An ability to generate creative angles and pitches.
• Strong computer skills in MS Office: Word, Excel required as well as a familiarity with media monitoring/PR platforms.
• A solid understanding of, and fluency in, the digital media environment¬—including bloggers and social media.
• Must be well organized, detail oriented, highly motivated, flexible, and able to work independently.
• Excellent organizational, communication, and writing skills.
• Basic graphic design skills (in order to create posters, flyers, postcards, etc.) are desirable.
• Experience working in a collaborative team environment.
UNC Press values diversity, equity, and inclusion in word and deed. The work we publish reflects a commitment to engaging diverse voices and experiences and bringing them to the widest possible audience. Similarly, we value a workplace that welcomes different perspectives to enhance the quality of our decision making as we carry out our work. We are strategically engaged in creating and enhancing policies and practices that will attract, retain, and develop a staff that is diverse along many dimensions.
THE **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER M/F/D/V
About the **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.
116 S. Boundary St.
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
Applications will be reviewed beginning Monday, July 16, 2018.