We are looking for a talented and highly motivated acquisitions/sales rep who thrives in a fast-paced, exciting, and dynamic environment. Experience as an acquisitions editor or literary agent will be the most suitable for this unique sales position. An ideal candidate will possess a wide range of knowledge and expertise across multiple genres, with the most relevant categories being memoir, business, finance, health and wellness, general nonfiction, and personal development.
The position will involve assessing a client's manuscript concept and platform, advising the client on the optimal approach to achieve their publishing goals, and recommending and selling the appropriate service option(s).
The ideal candidate is disciplined enough to work offsite, but able to meet clients/authors at our office when needed.
Compensation is largely based on commission with lucrative earning potential and a path for upward mobility within the firm.
• Conduct sales calls and respond to client emails
• Understand clients' needs and deliver customized, targeted solutions
• Describe and sell our services and service packages--which include ghostwriting (multiple genres), editing, book proposals, and other related services
• Manage, review, and draft responses to incoming correspondence
• Maintain an extensive knowledge of the services offered across all departments in the firm
• Maintain detailed, extensive client database
• Effective, efficient, and responsive client follow up
• Behave as a key, first point of contact between firm and its clients
• Objection prevention and handling
• Facilitate future sales
• Close sales
• Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in English, publishing, journalism, or a related field
• Must have 5 years experience as a literary agent, acquisitions editor, publisher, or a position closely related to the one described above
• Must show ability to drive new sales, achieve sales quotas and effectively increase year to year revenue growth
• Excellent conversation and presentation skills, with an ability to quickly establish rapport and effectively react in dynamic, customer-facing situations
• Proven ability to understand and quickly acquire in-depth knowledge of services offered, carefully analyze customer needs and present solutions
• Strong project management skills with an ability to collaborate within a team environment
• Strong computer and research skills
• High level of competency required in Microsoft Word
• Ability to travel as needed
Skills and Competencies
• Outstanding customer service skills
• Persuasive and goal-oriented
• Highly creative and resourceful in creating, recognizing and developing sales opportunities
• Self-motivated and committed team player who enjoys a fast-paced and results-oriented work environment
• Personable and detail-oriented with strong communication (written and verbal), organizational and time management skills
• Ability to work independently, as well as with a team
• Ability to exhibit patience and enthusiasm in all client situations
• Must work accurately and productively in a fast-paced position
• Exceptional knowledge of book publishing processes and functions
• Excellent contacts in the book publishing industry
• Proven ability to identify and cultivate new authors and identify best-seller potential
• Self-motivated, hands on, creative individual with exceptional oral, written, presentation, and negotiation skills
• Attention to details in a deadline-driven environment with the ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Strong initiative and judgment
*NOTE: Health insurance is not standard with this position but can be negotiated.
We are a close-knit, forward-focused company that enjoys working together to provide our clients the highest level of service and expertise in the industry. We have experienced considerable growth and expect that trend to continue. We are looking for team members who want to grow with us and are dedicated to helping us continually improve our service and expand our market reach.
1115 Broadway, 10th Floor
TO APPLY, send an email with the subject line SALES REP APPLICANT to ****. Please include BOTH a cover letter and resume/CV.
NOTE: Please submit your application by E-mail only and do not call the front office until we've reached out to you for an appointment.