As the publicist for Shambhala Publications/Snow Lion, your mission will be twofold. First, you will be the primary contact for the author throughout the development and execution of all publicity and marketing plans. Our goal is to provide an exceptional level of author care – a level that sets us apart from other publishers and adds value to the author’s publishing experience. You will be their coach, their counselor, their cheerleader, and their advocate, providing an equal measure of clear guidance and responsive, enthusiastic collaboration. Second, you will work to secure media coverage and organize events in support of Shambhala Publications. This will require you to initiate and maintain relationships with key media contacts and influencers in the categories Shambhala publishes into and become familiar with the best venues for events in all regions that can draw a significant crowd.
• Collaborate with your marketing counterparts, editorial team, authors, and Shambhala Publications staff to create and implement unique and engaging publicity plans, including media outreach and author events.
• Advise authors on the publishing process and best practices.
• Assist the editorial team in evaluating the media potential for incoming acquisitions.
• Write press releases, pitch letters, organize mailings for ARCs, eGalleys, and finished copies, and assemble media lists with the goal of securing a diverse array of media (print, broadcast, and online).
• Be responsive to incoming media requests, providing assets and excerpts, author bios, blurbs, fact sheets, etc.
• Develop and sustain relationships with key media contacts, influencers, and event venues.
• Brainstorm with the Shambhala/Snow Lion team about branding initiatives.
• Occasional travel for media meetings, author events, sales presentations, trade shows, etc (approx. 3-4x per year)
• 3-5 years in a bookselling or book publishing role
• Demonstrated knowledge of or curiosity about world religions and philosophy, particularly Eastern wisdom traditions including Tibetan Buddhism, Zen, and Taoism.
• Event planning, writing, social media, promotion and strategic partnerships, presentation skills
• Adept at Office 365, Excel, Photoshop, Adobe, Cision
This position will be based on our Boulder, Colorado office. Remote candidates will not be considered; relocation assistance can be provided.
Shambhala Publications has been a family-owned book publisher since 1969, and is the leading small publisher of books on Buddhism, Religion & Philosophy, Mindfulness & Meditation, Psychology, Health and more. We offer generous benefits including 401k match, health care including dental and vision, summer hours, and free yoga and meditation classes in our office. Compensation commensurate with experience.
4720 Walnut St
Boulder, CO 80301
Please send your cover letter and resume to KJ Grow, Sales & Marketing Director: firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be received until Feb 15; first round of interviews to begin late January.
Website : http://www.shambhala.com
Books are companions . . . teachers . . . muses . . . carriers of dreams, visions, and truth. For more than a third of a century, Shambhala Publications has been devoted to the magic, craft, and business of books. We've published hundreds of titles over the years from miniature classics to oversized art books, from scholarly translations to stories for children, from books on tape to books in a box, from A Little Course in Dreams to The Great Path of Awakening. Here we invite you to celebrate with us some of the highlights of our history the people, events, and books that have helped Shambhala to flourish as an independent house of quality, integrity, and vision.