St. Martin's Press, LLC
Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Intellus Learning, Late Nite Labs, and Hayden-McNeil. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences -- race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective-- in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will become an employee of Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC (“BFW”), d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education’s guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources.
Macmillan Learning is seeking a Development Editor for the Bedford/St. Martin’s Humanities Editorial Development team. The development editor will plan, develop, and manage preparation of digital and print products for the undergraduate English, History, Communication, and College Success classroom that promise competitive advantage.
• Plan, evaluate, and edit for quality and competitive advantage print and digital products. The editor is responsible for making editorial decisions that ensure a customer-centered focus and a strong market identity and for directing authors and others to make improvements accordingly.
• Schedule, plan, and coordinate the elements of each project including content delivery, editing, reviewing, permissions, photo research, and turnover to print and media production.
• Ensure that products are delivered on time and within budget.
• Hire and manage content providers and freelance editors as needed.
• Prepare production-ready final manuscript (digital and print), art files, and associated map, art, photo, and permissions logs.
• Keep abreast of pedagogical and market trends in higher education and humanities courses; perform competitive analyses.
• Write promotional copy.
• Travel occasionally to academic conferences, sales meetings, and/or college campuses to meet with authors and customers, provide book exhibit coverage, train or support sales reps, or gather market feedback.
• Participate in training and professional development activities.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent editorial judgment and skill
• A motivated self-starter with a proven track record of problem solving
• Strong interpersonal skills, with ability to form productive working relationships with authors and in-house teams including marketing and print and media production
• Strong project management skills, with ability to juggle multiple ongoing projects, set priorities, meet deadlines, pay close attention to detail, and work effectively in a fast-paced environment
• Interest in and ability to think creatively about the fields of English (including Composition, Developmental English, Literature, and Business and Technical Writing), History, Communication, and College Success
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat
• Must bring a positive, can-do spirit to the job
• Minimum two years editorial experience in educational publishing, preferably higher ed
• Proven experience in transitioning editorial work from print to digital
• Teaching or tutoring experience a plus
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree
• Humanities background a plus
This position can be based in Boston or New York City
St. Martin's Press, LLC
Website : http://www.stmartins.com