Harvard Business Publishing was founded in 1994 as a not-for-profit, wholly owned subsidiary of Harvard University. Its mission is to improve the practice of management and its impact in a changing world. Harvard Business Publishing has approximately 300 employees, primarily based in Boston, with offices in New York City, India, and the United Kingdom. The company comprises three market groups: Higher Education, Corporate Learning, and Harvard Business Review Group. Through these publishing platforms, Harvard Business Publishing is able to influence real-world change by maximizing the reach and impact of its essential offering — ideas.
Harvard Business Review (HBR) is the world’s most influential source of management ideas and an innovative multi-platform media brand. HBR, through its flagship magazine, books, and digital content and tools published on HBR.org
, aims to provide professionals around the world with rigorous insights and best practices to help lead themselves and their organizations more effectively and to make a positive impact. It provides new ideas, perspectives, information and methodologies that are at the leading edge of business and management thinking. The magazine is published six times annually and has a circulation rate base of 200,000 to 250,000. HBR.org
an average of 7.2 million unique visitors a month and well over ten million followers on social media.
Content focuses on areas such as leadership, innovation, organizational change, strategy, marketing, technology, and the global economy. Magazine articles share certain characteristics: They are written for senior managers by experts whose authority comes from careful analysis, study, and experience. The ideas presented in these articles can be translated into action and have been tested in the real world of business. HBR.org
’s mission is to make individuals smarter about how they do their jobs so that they can have a greater impact on their organizations and the world. Digital articles introduce HBR ideas to a much wider audience and act as a hothouse for new ideas and new voices that often appear later on our other platforms. Practical tools, audio, video, infographics, webinars, and interactives clarify ideas and make them immediately useful. Plus, HBR's social audience offers a lively landscape for engagement and new content experiments.
The Senior Editor, Multiplatform oversees and coordinates the discovery and development of new digital experimentation and strategy across several forms of storytelling, including video and emerging media formats. He or she is charged with enhancing the digital aspects of content channels, ensuring that they are as forward-thinking and that they meet the changing needs of our audience. The Senior Editor will have a point of view on the many ways an idea can be consumed and shared digitally, especially on mobile. He or she will bring innovative thinking to how HBR can experiment regularly with new content, as well as new ways to treat the content for which HBR is known and respected—such as case studies, research, CEO interviews, and company stories.
• Define, implement, and manage a multimedia strategy for HBR, to include video, VR, interactives, audio, and other forms of mixed media
• Conceptualize and help execute new digital editorial experimentation for HBR.org
on a wide range of projects, such as live video events, conversational interfaces, data visualization/animated charts, curation and other visual approaches.
• Play a key role advising on mobile and social strategies, including on emerging media platforms
• Play a key role brainstorming and advising on how younger readers can be targeted with content that appeals specifically to them
• Participate in HBR’s initiatives with Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat
• Work with designers, editors, and tech to help define a compelling vision for what HBR's storytelling should be and how our ideas can be best translated to new formats
• Contribute to the evolution of HBR's long-form storytelling, including its Big Idea franchise
• With Editor, manage the pipeline of editorially related product, tech, and content management; be a lead editorial voice on product
• Help oversee integration of HBR content across all platforms, assisting to break down silos and optimize unique characteristics and advantages of each platform
• Collaborate with the Editor, HBR.org
, to ensure that all content is on brand, in keeping with the mission, and of the highest editorial quality
• With Editor, create a metrics-driven environment for measuring success of online content as it relates to driving traffic and engagement
• Represent HBR in public events, waving the flag and doing journalistic interviews
• Stay abreast of emerging technology and new content distribution methods, aiming to be ahead of the curve on innovative storytelling
Scope and Impact of the Role
This is an outstanding opportunity for an editor with ambition and insight on visual storytelling, multimedia, and mobile trends. With HBR's mission to publish ideas around the world that improve how companies operate and position themselves at the forefront of innovation, the Senior Editor, Multiplatform, will be central to this effort. The successful execution of this new role will help ensure that Harvard Business Review continues its tradition of influence, innovation, and quality content at the highest level.
-Strong digital editorial experience
-A track record of launching new digital content projects, executing on them, and measuring them.
-Multimedia experience, especially around video, visuals, or emerging platforms.
-Interest in or experience with business and/or management content
Profile of the Ideal Candidate
• A strong leader: visionary, confident, commanding, strategic thinker, able to lead and institute innovation
• Driven to be “out in front” leading the drive to create something new
• Excited by the constantly changing digital media landscape and eager to both understand it and make a mark on it
• World-class curiosity and intellect; gravitas
• Strong generator of ideas who cares deeply about quality content
• Motivated by the opportunity to reach a global audience
• Strong manager and developer of staff. Demonstrated leadership experience, including team-building
• Strong process-management experience and budget responsibility
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• High emotional intelligence
• Collaborative and team-oriented
Would you like to apply to this job?