Macmillan Learning is a part of the family-owned Holtzbrinck group of companies and is one of the leading educational technology companies. Through deep partnership with the world's best researchers, educators, administrators, and developers, we facilitate teaching and learning opportunities that spark student engagement and improve outcomes. We provide educators with tailored solutions designed to inspire student curiosity and measure progress. Macmillan Learning is comprised of renowned brands including Bedford/St. Martins, W.H. Freeman, Worth Publishers, Sapling Learning, SkyFactor, Intellus Learning, Late Nite Labs, and Hayden-McNeil. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences -- race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective-- in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will become an employee of Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC (“BFW”), d/b/a Macmillan Learning. Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group, LLC has developed an affirmative action program in compliance with the NY Department of Education’s guidance. Portions of the affirmative action program are available for review by applicants and employees by contacting Human Resources.
The Custom Sales & Acquisitions Editor position will be responsible for negotiating and selling custom published textbook adoptions and original authored custom works from the Macmillan publishing family; including Hayden McNeil, Bedford St. Martin's, W.H. Freeman, Worth, and Sapling Learning. The representative will work with Macmillan Learning field reps to help sell and close custom business through personal on-campus sales calls, web conferences, and phone and email interaction with both prospects and existing customers.
In working with the Macmillan Learning field reps this position requires cultivating relationships, coaching, following up on leads and closing business on their behalf. The Custom Editor is responsible for all custom business uncovered and sold within his/her territory. The Custom Editor is expected to travel as needed, especially in the primary selling seasons. Additional travel includes regional and national conferences, as well as various training, marketing, and sales events.
Sales calls and on campus activity:
• Preplanning and scheduling of sales calls on campus.
• Conduct sales interviews in person and via phone
• Develop and execute selling techniques that effectively promote Macmillan Learning
• Creating appropriate sales materials as needed. This includes follow up letters, proposals, mock ups, sample books, etc.
• Responds promptly, either in writing, through email, or by phone to requests made by customers and/or by other team members and colleagues
• Coordinate selling efforts with Macmillan field representatives, other sales team members, editorial and other in-house colleagues.
• Attend, and take an active participation in, sales meetings and educational conferences to represent Macmillan Learning Curriculum Solutions
• Meet annual sales quotas and goals
Reporting / Communication / Financial Analysis:
• Maintenance of data in CRM system, as well as active communication of sales activity, sales pipeline, etc.
• Prepare handoff package for each signed relationship
• Communication and coordination within sales organization regarding mutual customers and prospects.
• Create, analyze, and customize pricing solutions for product offering
• Regular communication with Macmillan field staff and editorial staff regarding handoffs, author relationships, etc.
• Plan each semester’s travel itineraries
• Organize office, filing, and electronic records to successfully manage a large volume of sales activity.
• Effective use of travel and entertainment spending to maximize effectiveness while staying within budget.
• Minimum 3-5 years higher education publishing experience
• Excellent communications skills both verbal and written, varied for different audiences
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Complex sales skill knowledge
• Strong financial analytical skills for pricing analysis and product development
• Follows policies/procedures
• Upholds organizational values
• Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills
• Follows through on commitments
• Uses time efficiently
• Sets and achieves challenging goals
• Includes appropriate people in decision-making process
• Work collaboratively across groups
• Can manage difficult customer situations
• Can easily synthesize information
• Higher education custom publishing experience preferred