St. Martin's Press, LLC
Macmillan is a group of media companies in the United States held by Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck, based in Stuttgart, Germany, which publishes a wide range of books, magazines, and digital products for the consumer and education markets. Our American publishers include Farrar, Straus and Giroux, Henry Holt & Company, W.H. Freeman and Worth Publishers, Bedford/St. Martin’s, Picador, Roaring Brook Press, St. Martin’s Press, Tor Books, Hayden McNeil, Macmillan Children’s Group, Macmillan Audio and Bedford Freeman & Worth Publishing Group. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to reflecting a broad representation of differences --race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, age, family status, economic background and status, geographical background and status, and perspective — in our workplace. The successful candidate for this position will be an employee of Macmillan Publishing Group, LLC.
Farrar Straus Giroux Books for Young Readers seeks an enthusiastic, collaborative, innovative editor with a demonstrated interest in diverse books to acquire and edit approximately 15 titles per year including picture books, middle grade and teen novels. The ideal candidate will have a passion for children’s and young adult publishing, a proven ability to work on a variety of projects in a deadline-oriented environment, and existing relationships with key people within the industry (ie: agents, authors, and illustrators). We are specifically looking for someone who can work collaboratively with colleagues within FSG BYR, liaise effectively with members of other departments, and represent our imprint within the publishing community.
• Acquire, edit, and project manage approximately 15 frontlist titles per year.
• Work collaboratively with fellow editors within FSG BYR.
• Build relationships with agents and other industry contacts.
• Write copy and sales material for books.
• Run P&Ls and create acquisitions paperwork for books.
• Effectively present books and represent imprint at internal meetings and within the industry.
• Follow trends and conversations within children’s books community.
Required Skills / Knowledge:
• Has acquired and edited picture books, middle grade and young adult novels.
• Basic understanding of P&L and other financial aspects of publishing.
• Experience negotiating deals.
• Ability to work in a detail-and-deadline-oriented manner.
• Ability to project manage; strong communication skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Approximately 5 years editing experience.
• Relationships with agents, authors, and illustrators.
• Experience acquiring and editing own list of books.
Educational Background Required:
• Bachelor’s degree
St. Martin's Press, LLC
Website : http://www.stmartins.com