Workman Publishing – an independent publisher of award-winning cookbooks, fun and educational children’s books, and high-end gift books, as well as parenting/pregnancy guides, fiction, gardening, and country living – is seeking an energetic, proactive and creative assistant with a strong interest in book sales for its Special Sales department.
The Special Sales Assistant will learn the ins and outs of a dynamic non-traditional sales department, where our collective goal is to seek out and foster niche opportunities for our titles. Our accounts encompass the world outside of bookstores and retail stores, including direct mail catalogs, gift with purchase premiums, non-profit giveaways, wholesalers to the specialty marketplace, subscription boxes, and online retailers.
The assistant will be responsible for supporting the day-to-day functioning of the department, and the ideal candidate would possess a desire to develop their abilities and grow within the role. We see this position as a jumping off point for an eventual active selling role within the department.
• Writing pitch letters and crafting sales copy for direct mail brochures
• Assisting customers, processing orders, and helping with mailings
• Researching new business opportunities
• Preparing for sales calls and trade shows
• Administrative duties as needed
• Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
• Excellent time management and communication skills
• Prior office experience is required, and some publishing or bookselling experience is preferred
• Bachelor’s degree
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Attention to detail and strong organizational skills are key, as the position will report to multiple parts of the department and juggle several tasks at once