Princeton University Press (PUP) seeks an energetic, self-motivated, and highly organized college graduate with 2-4 years of experience in the publishing industry to be the Assistant Editor to the Editorial Director, Humanities and Executive Editor for History. The Assistant Editor assists the Editorial Director in signing, developing, and publishing distinctive and outstanding books in the field of history, and serves as a liaison between authors and the Press. The Assistant Editor will support the Editorial Director through all stages of the life cycle of the book, from concept through post-publication. In particular, the Assistant Editor will be responsible for author management, data integrity throughout the life of the book, as well as communication within the organization and beyond. The assistant will be expected to take a leadership role in managing Editors’ lists as well as be involved in various research and writing projects. The Assistant Editor will also develop and publish a small list of books in the field of history, under supervision of the Editorial Director, and will successfully execute all associated duties.
• A genuine interest in and intellectual engagement with the publication of scholarly books.
• Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain excellent professional demeanor and be able to convey information accurately. A proofreading test, writing sample, or other evaluation may be required at the time of interview.
• Excellent time-management and organizational skills, and the ability to manage detail-oriented projects with overlapping deadlines.
• Ability to work independently toward the collaborative and common goals of the lists, the editorial department, and the Press.
• Degree from a four-year college or university, or equivalent experience, plus a minimum of 2 years’ experience in the publishing industry.
• Computer proficiency, including with databases and Microsoft Office.
• Physical Demands: This is a typical office environment with heavy computer use. Travel required approximately one to four times per year to attend conferences, where the ability to lift heavy boxes is occasionally required.
Email resume and cover letter to ****. Only finalists will be contacted. This position is located in Princeton, NJ.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter with salary requirements, cover letter and resumé to: ****.
Only finalists will be contacted. For more information on Princeton University Press, visit http://press.princeton.edu/.
The Press is one of the leading academic publishers in the country, provides a comprehensive and affordable benefits package, and is located in a historic building on Princeton University’s campus.
Princeton University Press is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.